From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:43:17 EDT
Over the years, our work with pollutants clearly showed that pollen was a
route of entry of many things into the hives, especially anything in particulate
 form.  Whereas some chemicals are systemically translocated into pollen,
much of what we saw were particles interspersed among the pollen grains.

This was especially pronounced in the case of heavy metals like lead,
arsenics, cadmium - in bee colonies in semi-arid regions, where as the weather  got
dry and windy, air-borne dust fell on the the flowers, and the pollen, more
than the nectar, became contaminated.  Some good rains would usually end  any
bee loss problems -- we saw many cases of accumulation of metals in beehives
to toxic levels during these periods.  For the most part, the source of the
contaminants was industrial and vehicle pollution (smelters, lead in gas,
cadmium from tires, composted materials used as fertilizers).

The Italians were the first to demonstrate that honey bees and pollen could
be used to detect the presence of phytopathogenic microoranisms in the
environment (Porrina et al., 2002; Merighi et al., 1999, 2000).  They  showed that
bee gathered pollen could be used for prevention and to help in
epidemiological studies of Erwinia amylovora (a bacterium caused severe disease  among
Rosaceae, Fire Blight).  The study was based on the assumption that  bees might
spread the disease by carrying the bacteria, but turning this around  so that the
bees were used to provide the earliest indication of a pending  outbreak.

We later conducted and published several studies on the electrostatic  uptake
of small particles (from microbeads to bacteria to virus) by bees, even
modeling the rate of uptake and the phenomena of adsorbing onto the body of the
bee relative to particle size and the charge on the bee (Lighthart et al. in
early 2000s).

For what its worth.

Jerry