From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 09:21:15 EST
     Hello, hello!
     Welcome to the community.  I too am rather new at beekeeping but have
     found that I learned a lot that keeps coming back to help me at the
     oddest times from the HIVE and the HONEYBEE and the ABC and XYZ of Bee
     Culture.  I also read Ormand Aebi's "The Art of Beekeeping" and
     "Mastering the Art of Beekeeping", Richard Taylor's "The Joy of
     Beekeeping" and "The How to Do it...." book on beekeeping, Dick
     Bonney's "Hive Management", Diana Summatro(sp?) "The Beekeepers
     Handbook", and several others.  The list is pretty extensive.  Also,
     contact BEE CULTURE magazine at [log in to unmask] and inquire about
     back issues and a subscription.  American Bee Journal is another good
     magazine that covers beekeeping in the U.S. but I don't have an e-mail
     for them.

     As an aside, if the bees have been there in that hive box for some
     time, whether 8 years or if a swarm moved into the hive bodies more
     recently, they are probably ok left alone until spring.  I don't know
     when "spring" is in Georgia but you probably have time to get your
     equipment and information together.

     Also, contact your state Extension Office and inquire about beekeeping
     in your state.  Georgia has a lot of package bee producers so your
     Extension office should have information regarding associations or
     beekeepers in your area.  Find an association and attend several
     meetings.  Meet the people who keep bees in your area and start asking
     questions.  All of the beekeepers I have met are more than willing to
     help a newcomer.

     Get a bee magazine and start reading the articles and the ads.  Yep,
     that's right. The advertisements.  You'll find out a lot from them.

     Keep in touch with the rest of us out here.

     Mark Egloff
     Dayton, Ohio