From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:01:37 +0100
> I'm curious if others have used one.  I've never heard of a beekeeper
> using
> anything other than a handshake and a case of honey.

Yes, I have one with just one landowner.

He runs the land on behlf of her sister.  Apparently she had a problem where
she allowed someone to keep pigs on her land and after 122 years they
claimed squatter's rights, so he wanted to be sure that I could not do the
same.  He was keen to get a lawyer involved - costing a fortune and not
worth it for one small apiary.  Fortunately, we access to legal advice via
our Bee Farmers' Association and I was able to get a suggested agreement
which we modified to our mutual satisfaction.  This is the wording:

'This licence is made the first day of September one thousand nine hundred
and ninety seven between xxxxx of  (hereinafter called "the Grantor") of the
one part and xxxxxx of xxxxx(hereinafter called "the Licensee") of the other
part whereby the Grantor grants to the Licensee and the Licensee accepts on
the terms of this licence permission to place and maintain beehives on the
site that they occupy on the property of the Grantor at xxxxx from the first
day of September one thousand nine hundred and ninety seven paying therefor
one pound of honey or the equivalent sum in money per beehive at the
discretion of the Licensee on or before the thirty first day of December
each year and the Licensee agrees that this permission is personal to him
only and the Licensee specifically agrees that he shall not acquire any
Squatters Rights and the Grantor and the Licensee agree that this licence
may be cancelled at any time provided that the Grantor shall give the
Licensee not less than three calendar months notice that he requires the
Licensee to remove the beehives and that the Grantor shall not require the
Licensee to remove the beehives during the months of October November
December January February or March.

Best wishes

Peter