Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:11:55 -0400
> What color are the boxes? Dark colors will warm much much  more
> rapidly-especially up North with the low sun.

I run with Navy Blue painted hives, so they are near black. As noted, I have
no starvation problems so the issue is not paint color as most the rest of
those around me paint white.

I think that Allen's comment on honey could have a part as fall honey in
Maine can granulate quickly, so it looks like you have stores on all sides,
but they are difficult to get to unless they are above the cluster and
warmed up. Hence, it is easy to keep going up and not to the side.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine