Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 11:54:17 -0600
>> > Slight fermentation also appears to be harmless

> Depends upon the organisms involved.  Rob Manning in Australia documented
> high bee mortality from some fermented syrup.

Interesting.  I was speaking of simple yeast fermentation, but I suppose
there are many other possibilities.  Have you any references handy?

I've started using thymol in syrup to reduce fermentation and to attract the
bees.  Seems to work well.

The addition of sorbates and other common food preservatives has been used
to prevent fermentation.  Gilles Fert mentions that in his book about
raising queens and I have always found that interesting.  I have tried to
interest others, but somehow people prefer to use harsh things like bleach
and who knows what.  Even thymol.  Go figure.

We hired a researcher some time back to see if the antifungal effect against
common fermentation organisms extends to nosema, which is fungal, but are
still waiting for the results.