From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:04:35 -0500
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:58:37 -0800, Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Isn't burlap woven from _either_ jute or hemp?  Depending on its intended
>use, either of those fibers are treated with penetrating oils,
>insecticides, or fungicides.

Richard, you are correct, jute is indeed made with hemp. I checked with the
importers today, and no, the landscape jute is not treated in any way. They
charge extra to do it upon request, but as I said, the stuff we landscapers
usually use is meant to biodegrade after the plants cover the area.

The representitive must have been laughing to himself, however, since we
told him we wanted to make sure it was safe for smoking :-)

Tim Vaughan