From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:33:58 -0400
Five years getting stung and then last year at an open hive demo we were doing for the county parks I got popped and ended up in the hospital.  It was a head hit and I thought it was because of location and activity and the fact that the beek next to me accidentally squeezed the venom sack in removal.

Two weeks later I had a similar reaction and another trip to the emergency room.

My problem was that I was not having a full blown reaction in terms of restricted breathing, but that I was going into shock as my blood pressure dropped dangerously low.

I have not given up beekeeping though and have been increasing the size of our farm's beekeeping business.  I simply enjoy it too much.  I started sting therapy since I also tested positive to reactions with several other venoms, especially those that are similar to bee venom (yellow jacket and wasp).  I had a bad reaction in the allergists office one day.  I have been stung int the field three times now the first was right when I started therapy and had a mild reaction that I managed to weather through OK and the last two stings were this year where I had a mild reaction and the second was as we were pulling spring honey this year.

I now dress head to toe in a suit unless I am just pulling pollen.  I tape my ankles.  Even with my more aggressive bees that does the trick.

I am now in the upkeep stage of therapy and I have no idea just how allergic I am or if am at all till I have another reaction.

I carry an Epipen with me pretty much anywhere I am on the farm and when I go hiking/camping.  Any time I know I will be in the bees I take a 12 or 24 HR antihistamine which does a lot.  You will NEED an prescription for the EpiPen.  The EpiPen is what keeps your blood pressure from tanking.

Go See An Allergist.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio