From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 09:20:29 -0500
>        Regarding the idea of making splits and allowing the nuc to raise
>their own queen. Queens raised from emergency cells can be inferior. It
>would be better to use a nuc with q-cells produced under the swarming
>instinct.
>        I am new to this list so most of you do not know me. My wife
>Carole and I keep about 700 colonies in Western New York and have been
>breeding for tracheal mite resistance since '92.

Welcome Vince and Carole,
                What an asset you are going to be to the list. For our
fellow members Vince was the guest speaker at the Ontario Beekeepers Annual
meeting a couple of years ago. He is very knowledgeable and up to date on
Tracheal mite resistance breeding. I'm sure Dr Medhat Nasr will be pleased
to see your name on the list.
Perhaps Vince, when you have time you might give us your views on T-mites.
We have had long discussions on this matter, a new viewpoint is always welcome.

        Regarding the above I would like to make a point, we are
perpetuating the swarming impulse, which I personally strongly disagree with.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *