Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 09:37:05 -0400

> Just as our bees seem to have "learned" how to handle tracheal mites, I"m
> hoping that we'll get bees that will learn how to handle varroa.

The problem with Tracheal mites is they have not gone away. Instead they
are being masked by Varroa and crashes that may be caused by Tracheal are
blamed on Varroa.

Also, treatments for Varroa are often effective against Tracheal.

Way back when, we seemed to learn that Tracheal problems were cyclic in
nature. Collapse followed by bee resistance and eventually another collapse
when that resistance went away. Fortunately the duration between events was
long. My guess is our bees have reverted to the susceptible Tracheal days
so I would never count it out.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine