From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:58:45 -0400
or how to stunt (doom?) a nuc
I seem to be saying to myself
"you should'a known better" too many times lately
Sept 4 i removed 3 frames to burn and replaced
w/ frames from last sept abscond (detailed here)
Since they had some moth action I thought they may be "safe"
But the moth avoided the center where there were some pupal corpses(20-50/frame)
The frames had been sprayed w/ bleach twice (should have been soaked
in a bucket for hours)

This nuc was on a pallet that in spring had a barren deadout, beside
was a dink that absconded in April

The first attempt was munched by brother bruin, just as the virgin was bred
The bear also munched the deadout
I stuffed all the junk back into a box, a cluster about softball size retook possesion
After a week I thought 'why not, give them a chance w/ lots of brood, etc'
So about Aug25 the new Q got going.  Yes rather late but I did give 6-8 frames brood
By Sept 4 she had ~6 frames brood -- not too shabby
Sept 19 No eggs or larvae. Queen seen
Sept 25 No eggs or larvae 1 frame sealed left Queen seen
Just like when this all started - fall/06 when I remarked that
the Q's seemed to quit (laying) early that year, but really ccd

along the line of knowing better, I listened to the
"better pollen digestion" meme here this spring
oops the inevitable happened, I should'a known better
Still its a way to get frames changed
AND it's the only reason that I still have a yard there
Brother bruin is a bit discerning, doesn't want to eat AFB
All the hives left, after it was over, had frames to burn
Before this summer that yard had no burn barrel

And BTW for the first time ever   the compensation for bear damage
from OMAF was fair, previously aprox 1/2 -2/3 what would be fair
Thanks  OMAF (ontario ministry of agriculture & food)
I have had compensation twice before(~26y ago & ~12y ago)
dave