From:
Brian Tamboline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2017 23:32:18 -0400
http://www.davidquammen.com/sampler/18-planetofweeds
Its a 20 year old article but might be worthy of a re-read, for perspective.
Maybe it's just me, and advancing age, but the changes were long ago identified and we did little to nothing.
If the genie is truly out of the bottle, what are the next steps?
Keep moving further north? Draw our line and hold fast? Or other ill-conceived plans to remove 'invasives'?
Interesting dichotomy, 'Invasive' versus 'Introduced'.
I intend to 'make do' with what I've been dealt.
As a counter point to negativity, Bjorn Lomborg's 'The Skeptical Environmentalist' is a decent read; more thought provocation. Also getting a little dated, but still worth a look.
We live better than all the kings who lived before us. Mostly, except for all that environmental degradation and de-forestation.
Interestingly, more forest cover in the eastern US than 50 years ago; marginal farmland going back to forest.
Brian