From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 22:43:24 -0800
On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, CW Honey wrote:

> In a message dated 96-02-27 16:19:02 EST, David  wrote:
>
> > If you can produce a bee which
> >doesn't produce vast quantities of the sticky stuff would be an advantage.
>
> It is felt here by many beekeepers in So. Arizona that this may be a quality
> that has been bred out which should not have been.  PMS or other viruses are
> felt to be on the rise because the propolising by the bees to coat the cells
> and cover and kill these viruses has been reduced by breeding programs by
> beekeepers who do not like messing with the bee glue.
>
> Natural defenses have been removed by well meaning breeders, but many in So.
> AZ are trying to return these natural traits to our bees.

 Hello, I do belive that some traits and genes have been changed by
breeding. It is very complex and I think we did not know enough about the
genetic make up when we started breeding for a few traits. Nature has a
self balancing program. We move something out it moves something in. One
gene in a different loci changes the behavior of the bee.This is the
reason that we need research on bee genetics going full speed ahead. I
personally feel that some of the changes that I have seen in the last 10
years in bee behavior, has to do with genetics. That might not bee the
only factor, the enviornment interacts with the genes to produce the
behavior.We have to get to some answers about some of the changes that we
see. It is not simple and I do know that there are a few researchers
doing good work to come up with a few answers. I wish I knew why one of
my hives years ago would fly in the rain.They did 360 pounds of surplus
when the average was 45 pounds.
 Education at all levels is needed for beekeepers.WE need to have our
researchers get new genetic material to work with.We need caution , but
most of all we need faith in our researchers that they can get the job done.
This is 1996 and management has changed in the companys that are making
money. It takes a team to win and we don't need to point fingers to the
past. I came out of a government job after 32 years.Change started slow ,
then we had a few meetings and changed peoples jobs around.In one year ,
the people that did not want to change were on there way out. Bottem up
management is in and the dictator is out.We can all bring about change if
there is a need for it.
 WE do need to get on board with some very solid genetic research , so we
will quit shooting in the dark. Its not that bad , but when we have more
information to work with the better the results.
 Have A Great One
 Roy