Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2015 03:49:30 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)

1. Yes food wastes of 1/3 of the total American supply is a generally accurate number, when all stages of soil-to-table of food production is considered.  
I find it odd one can make that claim when they study things,  great things are done to stop waste, up to and including pink slime as meat,   IF you do a lot of creative accounting  you can come up with interesting numbers.  but just because the plant produced it,  and you don't select it,  its not waste.  If you don't eat every apple in the orchard  is it wasted??  hardly.    There is a funny movie called "cownation"  the guy who made it uses a foolish number about how much water it takes to raise a cow.  they had to add all the rain that fell on the pasture that the cow wandered in to get these numbers,  is water for the grass a cow eats wasted?  hardly..

3. Then the statements about GM crops being used to boost yields so that we cut down fewer forests, nope.    Many are using GM crops to maintain yields in the face of new disease/pest/weed pressures, not to increase yields.  The argument could be made that other agricultural production methods would give the same improvement as the GM, and there have been a few studies where exactly that comparison was made.   But the claim that all GM is simply used to avoid cutting down forests is amazingly simplistic.    
It is simple,  that is the point  No one said all,  you make the claim there are "other methods" to increase yields,  fire away.  increase your yields  above the standard,  show us how that works,  and then you can stand in front of congress and show that GMO sciene is all dr frankestiens trying to play god.  Obviously there are many reasons for the GMO,  but it is a fact they all biol down to increased production.  EVERY ONE.    Look at the salmon some are now calling frankenfish.  we have some trying to provide an alternative source of fast growing salmon to preserve wild stocks and still feed everyone.  It would scare you to know GMO tech is looked at for bees also.  to help with mites and other issues.    

4.  That also brings up the issue of land use here, versus land use in other countries.  The issues of land use here, and land use in other countries, is comparing apples to oranges.  I'm not even going to get into talking about land use issues in other countries; we'd be here for three weeks just on that topic alone. If your not prepared top discuss it,  why did you start?    It is not apples and ornages at all,  its reality.  Every country is struggling to produce enough food for a growing world.  If you cannot look at teh failures and the successes in the world,  then you will fail.  To bury ones head in the sand and not see the rest of the world,  well that is as Mr Ash stated,  a bad thing and self centered.

I applaud the folks who ask for data, but it's maddening when those same folks then turn around and make unfounded claims of their own.  One of the questions I keep asking myself as I read these messages is "how much time do I want to spend, refuting yet another set of statements?"  In the past, I haven't had the time/energy to spend much time on this at all.  Right now, with the above list, I stand ready to back up every one of those statements if folks really want to see it.  

Unfounded??     quite the claim.  I laid out thoughts,  and some data.  feel free to debate them,  but I would love to stick to the reality,  please provide information that shows how GMO is not intended to increase yields,    Or maybe a method to reduce this 30% waste we have??  Please  outline an example of huge waste and maybe propose a solution?  Show us a place that has 10% real waste,  and I would bet if you can find a solution you would be rich.   Corn alone is a 59 billion dollar crop.   10% of that will set us for life!
World of Corn 2015

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| World of Corn 2015World of Corn. In 2014, America’s farmers showed how, with resilience, resolve and tireless work they could plant a crop that would produce an unparalleled abundanc... |
|  |
| View on www.worldofcorn.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

I might suggest we take this debate offline,  but that should be Aarons call.  IMO the GMO/RNAI  discussion is related to bees as its coming,  but it also seems some emotions are involved.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2