From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 07:18:50 -0500
In 1988 in Australia we held the Second Australian and International Bee
Congress.  In the Proceedings from the  Congress there are two papers
presented on this subject.  They are:-

The Assessment of Risk of Severe Allergic Reactions to Bee Stings by Dr.
J.H. Day M.D.  Dr. Day then was from the Queen's University, Kingston,
Ontario, Canada.  I am not sure if he is still there.

Bee Sting Allergy by Dr. G.O. Solley, Allergist in Brisbane, Queensland,
Australia.  Dr. Solley has had a lot of experience in treating people with
severe allergic reactions to bee stings.

I know because my father has been to him.  My father had for years not had
severe allergic reactions to bee stings.  As a young fellow he robbed feral
hives in trees and suffered no severe reactions to the stings.  One day in
later years, he was working in the garden and was stung on the hand.  He came
up to the house and collapsed on the floor.

He went to Dr. Solley and had the injections.  He now has been told he can
stand a couple of stings.  He has since received the odd sting in the garden
without any severe reactions.

I hope this helps answer the question on desensitizing people to bee stings.
No doubt there are many other stories about this subject.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA