Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:26:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Just a word of caution: A beekeeper should apply according to the label approved in his country. When I started working on Apivar registration in Canada, the company gave me a copy of their registration in France. Reading through I found 2 strips per box, we (Provincial Apiculturists) asked how if the box is not full? It is a waste of material.

We realized after discussion that the common hive was Dadant (jumbo) in france where a single brood chamber used. It did make sense for them to make a recommendation that like that. Then in 2008 I applied a single, Double, triple, quadruple strips per hive with counting frames of bees. we found that 1 strip per 5 frames of bees is the best 95% after 42 days. At that time I found that the lip to hang the strip does not stay easy in between the combs (Pain in the *44). If strips failed on the bottom board it did not work. Therefore, I requested to change the design but it was not accepted. The company and I agreed to put a hole to use a tooth pick to hang the strips. It does work perfect.

Following up with beekeepers for the past several years, it showed that the recommendation works.

By the way we analyzed Amitraz in strips before use and after 42 day in hives where bees were active. We found only about 0-.2% left from the 3.3% original concentration.

This is my 2 cents of contribution if you have more questions please let me know.

Medhat Nasr

Edmonton Alberta.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2