From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:21:16 +0900

>I came across a statement from an experienced beekeeper recently, to the
>effect that if you mix bees from three hives that they will not fight.

I do not think there is any significance to the number "3" when mixing bees
from separate hives.  The technique for swapping a strong hive for a weak
one so that bee numbers will equalize is common practice.  Just switch the
two over, when the bees are flying and all foraging bees will return to the
original site presumably loaded with pollen and nectar and be admitted as
contributors to hive stores.

Weather conditions do play a role in determining whether fighting will break
out.  When the honey flow is on bees will not notice the changes made.

The hive in place must have a laying queen and brood for bees to settle.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]