Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:43:23 -0400
> I get the impression (non -scientific I know!) that hives on
naturally drawn, foundationless, comb do better than those on
foundation-based comb.

As evidenced by EAS this year, and our recent  beekeeping classes, the
growing popularity of top bar and other  foundationless hives has resulted in
lots of glowing reports: more  'natural' beehive, bees do better, bees are
happier, etc.

So, we decided we had to see what this is all about, and set up our own top
 bar hive last year.  I really like having it around so that we can  show
our classes what a more natural comb looks like -- e.g., bees building in a
log.

Its pretty, great for photographs.  You can also lift the lid without  any
bees flying out.  But, in addition to the inability to extract honey
without destroying the comb, we found some other drawbacks.

First, compared to packages placed in Dadant hives on foundation, this
colony was slow growing.  At the end of two summers, it  has finally almost
filled its space.  Our other colonies that  we started last summer were busting
at the seams this spring.  We  extracted honey from the standard colonies
last year, but didn't take any from  the top bar.

However, the top bar colony was strong enough and had sufficient  stores to
make it through last winter - although last year was very mild for
Montana.  We had our doubts going into the winter, but were happy to see it  that
it survived.  I'm not sure it would have made a colder winter.

Second, if one opts to treat for mites, nosema, or feed pollen or  syrup -
you have to figure out  how to do it, since the top bar hive  we have has no
passageways past the bars - so you  can't just put a patty,  bottle, etc.
on the bars.  Minor point, but one that adds time  and effort, especially if
you had a number of these hives.  And, I'm sure  some will argue, that any
type of treatment is un-natural.

Third, the bees insist on bridging thr comb to the side-walls - Scott came
up with his own tool for breaking them loose so he can pull out the frames
to inspect.  That said, inspection is possible, so the top bar meets the
legal requirement in our state, but it is slower -  one  has to be  careful
to cut the combs loose, lift straight up.  Don't even think  about tipping
the comb upside down or laying it flat to get a better look.   Anything  other
than perpendicular and the comb starts to bends and sag and  can fall off
onto your foot.

Fourth, we've tried to get the bees to tell us whether they are happier,
but we can't decipher their comments.  We don't see any obvious   differences
based on flight, noise, temperment.

In summary, we're glad we've got it for demonstration purposes.  As a
honey producer, you're going to have to accept smaller yields.   Even  if your
top bar colonies grow as fast as those on standard equipment (we're  basing
our slow growth on a sample of one), you still have to destroy comb to
harvest honey.  Or maybe I should say, we haven't figured out a way to get  the
honey without damaging the combs.  Since it takes several pounds of  nectar
to build a pound of wax, that's going to reduce your long-term  yields.

Now, I like comb honey much  better than extracted honey  -  its not as
sweet; and this is a way of getting  comb honey without  having  to have any
special gear (e.g., Ross Rounds or basswood  boxes).

So, if you are doing this for fun, enjoy it.

But, as Allen points out, frames and foundation are a compromise that  has
a specific purpose.  I doubt that we will ever know whether bees  are
happier building free-form comb, or drawing out  foundation.  I  don't know how to
ask them whether they'd rather repair extracted  comb or build it all again
from scratch.  Which is more  stressful?

Cleaning and repairing extracted comb does not require a large number of
field bees, flying to collect nectar to replace lost comb/wax.  If you  agree
with the  notion that flight wears bees out, then removing honey  combs to
harvest honey probably shortens the life of more foragers,  compared to bee
colonies in hives where honey is extracted  from combs.  But maybe these
additional foragers die happy.   Collecting nectar may be more  'fun' than
fixing comb inside the   hive.

Jerry