Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:51:37 EST
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be
> added  to my honeybee presentations to help make them
> more interesting and  unique.
>
> I'm thinking about incorporating an interactive  short
> course on the 'Waggle Dance' into my presentations for
> the  kids.  Possibly making a simple display with the
> 'sun' and  'hive'.  Then doing a waggle dance with a
> toy bee.  The kids  then could use a simple chart to
> figure on a map the forage location the  bee is
> dancing.

I attended a work- related course on presentation techniques a long time
ago, before I had even heard of Adrian Wenner.  We each had to make a
presentation and, having drawn the post-prandial graveyard slot I knew I would  have to
do something active to keep my colleagues awake. So I chose the subject
'Bring on the Dancing Girls', and explained with the aid of a simply constructed
cardboard hinged artefact the theory. I then got them on their feet and
directed one of the group to be the 'dancing girl' while the remainder became  the
'attendants', their extended arms acting as antennae.

I chose the dancer not entirely by random as he was not my favourite  person.
If I had to do the presentation again perhaps I should add some scent to  his
clothing and also to a lure at the indicated distance and direction to
assist them in appreciating part of the many faceted tool that the bees  use.

Chris