From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 15:07:51 EDT
Thank you for your offer to help edit BEE-L LOGS.  I've spent a good
deal of time "refining" my program which peruses the logs searching for
specific topics.  Unfortunately I've again discovered that nothing's as
easy as it looks!

First I wrote my program to examine only the "Subject:" header to see if
the post was of interest.  I soon discovered that this test was
inadequate because of the manner in which posters use "Subject:"
headers.  For instance, a good deal of information on "BEARS" got
skipped over because the discussion took place under a subject hearer of
"I got visited".  I then modified my program so that it extracted any
and all discussion that included even the most remote reference to the
item of interest in the body of the posting.  Unfortunately, the results
were unbearably verbose, including references to bee beards, fruit
bearing, everbearing and please bear with me.

I've also run into some problems such as:
bees wax vs bee's wax vs beeswax.

So I'm still at the drawing board.  I'll continue to hack away at this
and will keep the list posted of my progress.

Bear in mind that I have a real job too!
                                        /Aa