Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 21:03:15 EST
According to Jane Power:

>> (with a smile) "Yup, that's my hobby.  I stand in a field and get stung.
Have believed since joining that Jane was out standing in her
field.  I'm enjoying the discussions very much.  In regard to
hive covers, I staple a #8 screen over the inner cover hole and
prop the top with whatever's handy.  This winter I happily did
this while thinking of the nice chimney I created and
completely forgot to install mouse guards in my ten hives.  I
was greeted by a family yesterday.  Haven't kicked them out
yet- thought I'd wait until I catch them sitting around their
tiny tea table in a petty family argument and evict them at
that moment - teach them about perspective.
   The idea of a mouse moving around unchallenged rekindled an
interest in flicker-fusion frequency that I developed many
years ago in an animal behavior class.  I noticed guard bees
reacting to visual cues that I believed could have only varied
in terms of "flicker".  I mentioned this in my report (I think
only for the brownie point value, since the objective had to do
with foraging conditions) and have thought about it off and on
since.  I have thoughts like "what if certain flowers can be
identified by the bee through the relative flicker frequency of their
petal fringes with whatever atmospheric air flows across".  Some Von
Fritsch type work might be interesting.
-
Jack Turner
Route 1, Box 657
Wise, VA  24293                        [log in to unmask]
"...there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply
messing about..."  The Water Rat in Grahame's The Wind in the Willows.