From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2013 16:59:33 -0300
On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM, randy oliver  wrote:

>  Unless you have data to back up the
> 2-strip application as being adequate for highly-infested colonies, the
> reasonable default would be to go by the manufacturer's recommendation.

I do not have "data", Randy.  But anectodal experience treating over 3000
hives for a few years says to me that two strips is sufficient, even for
strong hives with a lot of brood in two boxes.  Allen confirms that most
commercial beekeepers in Alberta are using two.   I don't actually know
anyone using four.

But considering that:
1.  Using half the number of strips cuts the cost of treatment in half.
2.  Reduces the labor to the same as MAQS.
3.  Reduces the contamination of the comb and bees by half (and this is
important concern of yours).
4.  You admit that you have heard lots of anectodal reports that it
provides sufficient control

Don't you think it would be worth treating a percentage of your hives with
two strips as opposed to four and gathering some "data"?

Stan