From:
Mark Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:43:36 -0500
During my spring inspections and medications, I noticed that last years two
best hives, which stockpiled lots (14 frames) of honey and two full frames
of pollen have dwindled in population dramatically.  Both hives are down to
less than two full frames of bees. The problem appears to be lack of brood
space as a result of this years mild winter and the bees not consuming
enough honey.

I've replaced the queen, condensed the hives down to one brood box and
removed two of the frames of honey and replaced them with two partially
emtpy frames from the other box. I hope this does the trick,however, there
is stil 6-1/2 full frames of honey in the hive.
Q/1...  Is this too much and if so what do I do with it?

I've also have another dilemma; two brood boxes full of overwintered honey
that is no doubt medicated with antibiotics and has been exposed to Formic
Acid for a prolonged period.
Q2/...  What do I do with these frames?
Q3/...  Do I keep them in storage till I have a hive that needs it and how
long can it be stored in the comb before in crystalizes?
Q4/...  Or should I spin it out, as I need the drawn brood combfor the
other hives?If I spin it out, what do I do with the honey?

A final concern, is that many of the untouched, overwintered frames of
honey have mold growing on the capped comb, as well as in the empty combs.
Should this be a concern, or will the bees clean up the mold as I re-
introduce the frames of honey back into the hive?

Sorry for all the questions, but these two hives have confounded me as they
have gone from the strongest to the weakestover winter.  I guess there can
be "too much honey" stored by the bees!

Cheers,
Mark Walker.