From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:20:36 -0500
Okay, Susan.  Basically the method I will describe involves mashing the
full honeycombs through a heavy, wide-mesh screen with a paddle, so that
all of the cells are ruptured well.  (You could also hand-crush them but
this is easier and not so sticky!) The wax and honey fall through the
screen together, onto a finer mesh material, and then the honey drains
through that into the bottom of the container below, just by *gravity*.

(This is a method I found recommended in a very old beekeeping book, and I
have been pleased to find that it works great (besides being really
cheap!).)

After several hours, almost all of the honey has drained from the wax.
Then the strainer cloth holding the wax can be hung outside if you want, so
the bees can salvage some of the remaining honey from its surface.

What you end up with is a slightly damp mass of beeswax, ready to be rinsed
and melted.  In the pail you have your delicious liquid honey, which you
can cover tightly and allow to settle for a few days.  The air bubbles will
rise up, forming a foam on top, which you skim off and feed back to the
bees.

By letting the bees make new comb each year in the honey-frames, your wax
harvest will always be top-quality and very light, white - bright lemon
yellow, and the most aromatic and attractive for molding or dipping.

I'll send you the file later today.  Let me find the description and I'll
e-mail as soon as I get a chance.  Have a great day, and good luck with the
preparations for your apiary.      --JG, Freeville, NY