From:
Tim Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:29:00 -0500
        Last year culminated a 6 month discussion with my oldest son about why he should not have a bee hive.  We were unable to disuade him from his desire to keep bees; therefore, we purchased bees/hive with gift monies of his and commenced to spend our resources so that I could look after them.  He and his younger brother watch the bees from  the other side of the fence(about 15 feet from the hive) on most days to assure that the bees are o.k.  Now my oldest, Samuel, is spending time right next to the hive watching the bees.  I am concerned about his safety if he were to be present when I open the hive.  Of course, you don't see me wearing a net and can't keep a smoker lit to save my life, but am working on it.  A child's safety is less sure, as he has never been stung by any insects(I seemed to attract them when I was young) and I don't know how he would react.  Any thoughts?

Tim Rich -

BTW - two years ago, I would have laughed at any who said that I would be caring for bees.  Especially since I have always been negatively affected by bee stings(allergic?).  The past year I received 4 stings, with progressively diminished responses.  In fact, the last sting left only a welt!  I don't know about science, etc - but it has worked for me.