From:
João Campos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:39:53 -0300
Hi Dave,

> I wish more work would be done, it would be helpful if
> what was actually relevant to the matter was properly collated
> and referenced into a bibliography, but I don't know of any work
> ongoing at the minute.

I wonder if the bee tracking devices, like the ones used by Joe Riley
and Jerry Bromenshenk in their experiments, wouldn't be of great help
to clarify things about open matings.

Besides the cost, are there other limitations to monitor long
flights? Riley's experiment was a short range, about 200 m, if I
recall well. Would harmonic radar be able to track bees over several
kilometers? And what about lidar? Can it discriminate drones and
queens (if they are marked in some way) and track them over large
areas?

A more solid knowledge about open matings could be extremely useful
for the beekeeping community, I think.

Best Regards,

João Campos

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!
http://br.acesso.yahoo.com