From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 04:59:18 -0700
My buddy Rick Drutchess brought one (two headed jars)down to our Florida farm this last spring and I was very impressed.

In my experience, the two headed shaker will reveal more than twice as many mites than the ether roll. I've read some posters claim that ether rolls are ineffectual to get an accurate count. I think they are just a different measuring stick akin to inches vs. centimeters. I think a beek can get a good feel are where she/he stands either way.

That being said, I am going to order some more shakers and I do agree with the Dr. that 10 mites is perhaps a good threshold on the shaker system.

All things considered, I will say it again, keeping the mite count very low is number one in keeping bees healthy.

I have to update my oxalic trials from last winter/spring.  Took a yard of 80 from a 16 mite ether roll to almost zero with 3 treatments with oxalic. Both deeps (doubles)were treated each time with 25 ml, more or less, for a total of 50 ml per hive. I would generally be able to treat 80 hives per gallon. This is a spring treatment with lots of new hatch.

On the last treatment, I gave each deep (doubles)50 ml of 3.5%. That is about 100 ml per hive.  NO damage. That's 40 hives to one gallon on the last treatment. I must point out that there was a constant hatch of new bees coming in and also nectar coming in daily.

After hearing so many stories of beekeepers hurting their bees with too much formic, thymol, oxalic, fuji mite, etc., I would like to make a recommendation to all beeks. Trial every new treatment on a few hives before treating all your hives. Test each treatment according to conditions like temp, nectar flow, population, etc. Put a sticky board on the bottom on the trials. You may need more or less treatment. Conditions can vary greatly.

Then roll roll roll.
Or shake shake shake.  ;-)

 Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebook