From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:37:09 -0600

Jim wrote:
> While "new ways of thinking" are great, some of them are simply wrong. >
If they are wrong, they need to be quickly identified as such, so as to  not
confuse novices who might otherwise be misled.

"New ways of thinking" were of minor importance before mites, small hive
beetle and other new beekeeping problems. The journals were full of better
ways to winter and ways to get bigger honey crops which would only at times
get you poor wintering or a lousy honey crop but you were still in business
with live bees if the "new ways of thinking " did not *pan* out.

With the entrance of mites the beekeeper was overwhelmed with the "home
remedies" for mites. I came back from a national meeting years ago with
around 20 plus solutions for varroa mites other than strips. Over the years
most were eventually tested by the USDA and others with controls and found
to be worthless. Several (if not many) commercial beekeepers went bankrupt
following advice given by fellow beekeepers.
Bad advice not properly tested had cost many three generation beekeeping
families their livelihood.

A recent example of the way varroa  home cures get started is on page 878 of
the December 2002 American Bee Journal from the article "The Bee Police".

quote:
"Mr. B. (not named beekeeper) decked out in his master bee suit and a pair
of RUBBER GLOVES, heavily dusted the brood chambers top bars with a garlic
powder sugar mixture _an organic treatment for varroa mites."

I have already had a couple calls asking about using garlic and sugar for
mites. Ever heard of the method? Why the rubber gloves?  Is this finally the
answer we have been waiting for? I bet not but will keep an open mind to
"new ways of thinking". Comments?

Bob