From:
Ghislain De Roeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:49:11 +0100
> Sort of counter to "Informed beekeeping".
> To throw out all arguments because of their source leads to dogma, not
truth.

Basically you're absolutely right bill!

Fact is that we - in Europe - know that researcher probably better than you
in the States, in his writing and in his actions.
I now begin to understand why some on the list only find errors in the
research of scientists who are warning against the dangers of neonicotinoids
and never in those of the pro's. In a last attempt to warn against the
dangers of neonics, I quote briefly from the very recent risk assessment of
the European Food Safety Authority -EFSA -:
"Where the risk assessments could be completed, EFSA, in cooperation with
scientific experts from EU Member States, concluded the following for all
three substances (imidacloprid, thiamethoxam and clothianidin):
.Exposure from pollen and nectar. Only uses on crops not attractive to honey
bees were considered acceptable.
.Exposure from dust. A risk to honey bees was indicated or could not be
excluded, with some exceptions, such as use on sugar beet and crops planted
in glasshouses, and for the use of some granules.
.Exposure from guttation. The only risk assessment that could be completed
was for maize treated with thiamethoxam. In this case, field studies show an
acute effect on honey bees exposed to the substance through guttation
fluid."

Here you can find the complete analyze:
http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/130116.htm?utm_source=homepage&utm_m
edium=infocus&utm_campaign=beehealth

Believe me, EFSA is not a collection of environmental NGOs.

Without any rancor, kind regards,

Ghislain De Roeck,
Belgium.