Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 17:21:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Charles Linder > We also see a lot of parroting of the concept of "full sun"  Like a lot of bee myths such as tanging,  it's not really true

First, let me say, if I may, that because one's experience and opinion differ with yours doesn't  make theirs a fable. Second, I'm guessing that you don't keep bees in the deep south. I live and keep bees just north of Athens, GA. I've worked bees in south GA. SHB are bad here and awful 200 miles south. A decade ago most of my yards were in sheltered places...at the edge of or sometimes in the woods. Not all though. Several were in full sun. Over a couple of seasons the shaded locations had an epidemic of shb and the sunny spots were noticeably better. I'd never been told the myth about full sun but as those shady yards collapsed all my new yards were sunny. I still have plenty of beetles. I won't claim that I know why the difference but I saw it and made appropriate changes. 

CL > If you see 5-10 beetles,  they ARE breeding successfully in your hives.  Usually in the brood.
I see dozens of beetles in most hives. The bees have sequestered them away from the brood nest. With regard to reproducing look at my next comment.

CL > Now  I think I have that covered lets talk soulutions.   Salt on the ground, gaurdstar, dry sand, anything to prevent pupation is a great help

The horse has already left the barn. Any time I've ever seen any...even one shb larvae on a frame or bottom board, the colony was already in trouble. The most common colony failure, in my experience, is queenlessness. A colony here in late spring that goes queenless will be overrun with shb in short order. Density of bees can be a factor. I stopped making late season splits/nucs some years ago. Both the parent colony and the split were at higher risk and my success rate plummeted. 

CL > You will hear and read about Fipronol(Combat) in CD cases.  I would suggewst to you they are very ineffective and not a good idea
I've seen them used in south GA with amazing success.....although the stuff I saw used was a different brand, it was a fipronil based roach bait. Nucs with hundreds of beetles....not successfully reproducing but close to overrunning the colony and within a week I could only find a beetle or two. 

If you can direct me to some objective literature to support you statements.....I will then, sit down and shut up.  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2