From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:39:07 -0700
Peter Borst wrote:
> Another term that I would be curious about is "eke". Was it a noun or a verb
> first?

Hello Peter,

Thanks for responding!

The word was used by c.1200, meaning to ‘to lengthen, or extend’

I checked some bee books on the subject, and I have enough to complete the definition for eke:

eke - “a simple hoop of materials similar to the hive, fitting the bottom edge exactly: this is put into the bee-house, and the hive to be enlarged is placed upon it. This enables the waiting bees to go to work, and thus swarming is retarded. But as it is a temporary enlargement, the reason which induced the necessity of enlarging the apartment,
is increased when the eke is full.” (The Management of Bees, Pg 61, Samuel Bagster 1834)

“Ekes must have been used in England by 1593 when Southerne’s book said that they should be removed at the end of the year.” (The World History of Beekeeping and Honey Hunting, Pg 390, Eva Crane, 1999)

“It was called a ring or riser, or an imp or eke” (The World History of Beekeeping and Honey Hunting, Pg 389, Eva Crane, 1999)

eke and imp meaning  ‘to lengthen, or extend’
Etymology: north England and E. Midlands var. of echen from O.E. ecan, eacan, eacian meaning addition, reinforcement, to increase. c. 1200
Date: in beekeeping, at least by 1593

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles