From:
Leif Woodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:25:44 -0500
Looking at the services that the sterilization facility provides:

"START provides
Documentation for Traceability
QSR documentation of all processing phases, from receiving to shipping
Internal Certificates of Processing provide product information and
minimum/maximum absorbed dose"

The documentation end is easy. As far as the minimum and maximum dose, do
they measure it or just calculate it using the inverse square law and the
half value layer thickness of the material being irradiated.

I got some AFB last season, I promptly burned the frames, but the boxes I am
going to irradiate. I am planning to just take the boxes to my work and put
them in the corner of a room. Oh yes, in the room we do radiography on
piping and pressure vessels. We use mostly Iridium 192 isotope, but we also
have a Cobalt 60 source, both provide gamma radiation. I am just going to
place the boxes in the corner and let them get irradiated for a day before I
reuse them. Because I do not know which supers were on the colony with AFB I
am also planning on irradiating all of my supers in the same manner. I am
going to use the guidelines set out by Ontario beekeepers assoc. for the
dose to the boxes, but with the amount of activity we have in our sources it
will only take a few minutes to get what the recommend as a minimum. I am
going to just do the calculations to obtain what the dose rate they received
was.

Leif Woodman
www.qisi.com
ASNT LVL III #125787