From:
Regina Valluzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:59:42 -0500
Hello;

A colleague and I are trying to follow up on some early studies of
composition/structure relationships in insect silks.  These proteins are
reported to have similar compositions, but a number of these fibers,
notably those obtained from bees and hornets are alpha helical rather
than haveing the more typical beta sheet structure.  We have obtained
some hornet silk.  We would like to locate a biologist who can help us
obtain silks from honeybees.  My colleague was present during the
original studies and he informs me that the best way to obtain honeybee
silk is to get a larva just before it seals itself up to metamophosize
into a bee.  These larvae spin a thin casing of silk which is easy to
obtain from a larva in the right stage of development.  We're a
physicist and a materials scientist with an interest in insect silks,
the biology and habits of bees are not a "strong suit".  Are there any
interested parties out there who could perhaps be of assistance?

Thank you for your attention;
Dr. Regina Valluzzi