From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 21:28:22 -0700
About two years ago, a lady called wanting "lower honey."  It was reported as being much, much darker, higher in antibodies, and extremely healthy...much better for you than "regular honey."

I had no idea what she was talking about, and apparently neither did she so I sold her some of my darker honey.  She seemed satisfied with it.  It was a short conversation.

Tonight, another lady called asking for this "lower honey."  I mentioned the previous caller and asked the current called what she thought it was.  She said it was the honey from the bottom of the cell, then said it was from the bottom of the hive, then stammered about it being the darker honey when I "purified" my honey.  She didn't really know what this was, but heard it was more healthy that my normal honey.

And she was adamant that she wanted some of this magical honey.

After more convoluted and contorted exchanges, it was discerned this honey came from the brood nest, extracted from the old, dark comb.  I mentioned that most beekeepers DO NOT consider this honey better and few extract this honey.

She said, "Yeah, I know."

She continued to press the issue of wanting the lower honey of which I didn't have.  She asked me when I'd have some and I said it wasn't likely I would.  I neglected to mention all the larval skins and other issues with brood rearing.  It sounded like voo-doo magic to me.

What the heck is she talking about?  And why would brood nest honey be any better for the consumer?  Why would I get two calls about this?

Am I missing out on the marketing opportunity of the century?

Grant
Jackson, MO