From:
The Christensens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:02:19 -0800
The snow was over the top entrances on most, but
> >they didn't seem to care.   I dug out the entrances but did not open the hives.  Some of
> the entrances were obviously alive but others showed no sign on life.  Most
> had a cave outside of the entrance but in some instances my shovelling
> destroyed any evidence of a cave but I suspect some are already dead.
>
> It is good to hear that yours are doing well in spite of being fully buried.
>
> Eric

  Many of the beekeepers I have talked to are very happy to see their
hives completely buried with drifted snow. They claim the bees do very
well in this environment. Apparently there is adequate space around the
entrances for cleansing flights and all. I always try to place my hives
where they are sheltered from the wind so I have never had them drift
completely over and therefore have no first hand experience just what
others have told me. F.W.I.W.

   Leon Christensen