From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:14:56 -0500
On honey bee genetics:

I think the less said about this the better. One can put one's foot
very far into one's mouth these days. The whole study of genetics is
exploding and things are being discovered that no one in their right
mind would have imagined

> A particularly fascinating discussion is given of the role of transposable elements in the insect genome. These can alter the gene structure and function, and can transfer horizontally between species. The microbial symbiont Wolbachia's role in insect evolution is discussed, and the amazing fact that insects contain three or four genomes, namely the nuclear, mitochondrial, gut symbionts, and Wolbachia, raising the question of just what constitutes a biological individual. Some species of insects can have diploid males and females, or haploid males and diploid females, or only females.

from
Dr. Lee Carlson, Saint Louis, MO  USA, reviewing:
"Insect Molecular Genetics: An Introduction to Principles and
Applications", Second Edition
by Marjorie A. Hoy