From:
jimmy odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:46:57 -0400
Hello BEE-Ler's

I have just had and seen something that even my bee/inspector has never seen
or heard of.... I have read on this list that the workers will move eggs.
 never heard that they would move larvae...

  I have a jenter Q rearing kit.   I placed a Russian Q in it a week ago.  I
released the Q. 12 hours later and she had in fact laid eggs in the jenter
cage  which pleased me very much.   I replaced the jenter cage back in her
hive for 3 days and then went back to move the frame to the cell builder nuc
in which i had prepared with lots and lots of nurse bees.  Upon inspecting
the cage for the eggs, i discovered that the eggs were not in the cells.  ?
? ?  I figured that the bees had either moved or eaten the eggs, so i
removed all the cell plugs and placed them in a plastic sandwich bag while i
mulled over why this had occurred.  Now 5 days later, ( yesterday morning),
I decided to try it again, so i put the cell cups back in the jenter cage,
and around 10:30 am i caught the Q and placed her back in the jenter cage
and placed her (in the jenter cage)back into her hive.   I went back around
6pm the same day (about 8 hours later)  to check to see if she had laid eggs
again and to release her.   I could hardly believe it, but there were larvae
in many of the cell plugs and they were large larvae as if they were several
days old.   I am at a total loss as to why and how this happened.  This is a
new mystery for me.   I called Dick Lippard (State Inspector), last night
and left a message for him to call me this morning to see if he can shed
some light on this mystery.. I spoke to him today and he said he had never
heard of this before.

Has anyone on the list heard of this moving the larvae?  I made some pics
with my digital camera, however it appears not to be working properly.   I
will attempt to send photos later if i can get it to come back to life.

Jimmy Odom

charlotte nc