From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:01:28 -0500
Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

> That's not true. The cheap honey in the supermarket often contains honey
> as only as a primary and often even secondary ingredient. Honey will
> oxidize some minor components in the sun, however that's a process that
> takes months, maybe weeks if it really is in the direct sun.

HMF is what I was talking about. HMF, hydroxymethylfurfural, is a good
indicator of the quality of the honey and if it still has all the
enzymes that are essential if you want the "real thing". They are not
minor components but are the difference between what we beekeepers know
as honey, compared to a colored, flavored, supersaturated sugar
solution. The EU, by setting HMF standards, recognizes this.

HMF is temperature and time dependent. At about 120F honey will no
longer meet the EU spec in about 3-5 days. Above 120F and the time gets
down to a day or so. Since my roadside stand was in Texas in August, it
would be unacceptable for bees or human consumption in the EU in days.

HMF is harmful to bees. There are some who say it is also harmful to
humans, but I have seen no science to back that up.

There is good science to show honey with HMF is bad for bees.

"A study in Germany (Jachimowicz and Sherbiny, 1975) found that the
concentration of hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) in sugar syrups is indeed
the factor that influences bee mortality. They found that HMF levels
below 3 mg/100 g of syrup did not kill bees. However, HMF levels of 15
mg/100 g of syrup, which is common in commercially available acid
hydrolyzed invert sugars, causes significantly increased mortality.
Mortality was the result of gut ulceration. Expanding on this work in a
personal interview, Dr. W. Kalt, Food Plant Biochemist (Agriculture and
Agri-Food Canada, Kentville, NS) explained that HMF is a by-product of
the acid hydrolysis process which splits the sucrose molecule into the
simple sugars, fructose and dextrose. In contrast, the enzyme hydrolysis
process reshapes the molecule so the split does not result in the
formation of HMF."

This is from
http://www.wildwoodlabs.com/viewer.php?article_id=52

but you can find similar studies on the Internet.

You can also find it in real life. This happened in the US when some
commercial beekeepers fed acid hydrolyzed HFCS to bees for
overwintering. The bees died. Enzyme produced HFCS is just fine for
bees. (Lots on this in the archives.)

The 15 mg/100 g (150 mg/kg) of syrup concentration of the study is much
higher than EU standards which I believe is 40 mg/kg HMF. The study has
the bottom limit at 30 mg/kg so the EU limit is actually higher than the
study, but that may be from research they did at 40mg/kg and they did
not find harm.

There was also some concern by Southern California beekeepers with high
HMF in their honey which sits out in the sun over long periods. They did
not like the EU HMF limits because their honey had higher HMF
concentrations by being in the hot sun. They were trying to set
standards for HMF and it appears they gave up. So it is not academic but
real.

So it matters little if the honey is organic or from other sources when
HMF is involved. Which was my point.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine