From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:28:44 -0500
Mike wrote..." SHB larvae travel at least tens of meters and up to 200 meters to pupate.  You'd have to sand an area well around your entire apiary.  They also pupate at a depth of between 1 and 30 cm so you'd have to lay down a lot of sand."

Based on our recent experience your point is well taken. Since SHB are strong flyers, I assume they will find the environment they need to reproduce. This week we brought in thousands of SHB in our honey supers. We observed them flying from our honey processing center to several dumpsters about 40 yards downwind from our facility. Something fairly ripe there was attracting them. What's to keep them from reproducing in more distant wet areas and flying into hives from those locations?

We also found them in every one of the uncapping and extraction components. The damn things are small enough to get into extractors and creep around strainers or filters. We now find it necessary to have a fully enclosed system to avoid getting them into bottling tanks.
Gary