From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 08:21:58 -0700
> if formic acid treatments in pad and/or dribbling makes pollen worthless

Could anyone please post data to support this claim?
This is a substantial accusation against formic acid.
DeKnow's kitchen experiment did not contain pollen, so cannot be
extrapolated to infer anything about the effect of formic acid on cells of
stored pollen in the combs.

May we see the details of any experiment that found that formic vapor
stopped the natural lactic acid fermentation of pollen?

I have used MiteAwayII a few times, and have read a number of papers on its
effects upon bees and varroa.  I have not observed or come across any
observations by others that it had a negative effect upon bee nutrition.

If this claim of pollen sterilization is to be made publicly, it should be
supported by good data.  Not all beekeepers are willing to let their
mite-infested colonies die, and seek safe, legal treatments.  MiteAwayII
appears to be an environmentally-benign product that leaves no residue.  I
would not want to see its reputation tainted by unfounded claims.

Randy Oliver