From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 08:01:12 -0600
> It is easy to see that the varroa mite has not subjected Allen to
> its surprising effects. We should be able to tell when it has when
> he stops asking the above ludicrous questions. I can remember asking
> the same questions several years ago myself. The only question I ask
> now is "has it been 6 mo. since this hive had strips?"

As far as the questions being ludicrous (Sheesh), Eric is not
keeping bees in California where bees are active year round and
crowded in with bees from all over the USA (and Canada).

He is in Alberta, Canada, a large territory  where there are only a
few known outbreaks of varroa as of yet (some distance away), and the
spread still seems slow. Bees are not normally moved around a lot
from one area to another, although Eric did move the bees in question
to his location.  There are several other beekeepers close too.  I do
not know their status.

In Alberta, the bees will soon be entering a long inactive broodless
period.  When Californians are harvesting their first crop, our bees
will not be even flying, and brood rearing will be just beginning.

Maybe Alberta will turn out to be just exactly  like California, but
I really really doubt it.

Moreover, the bees in question are not *definitely*  known to have
mites -- only known to have been near some mite positive bees for a
while if the previous owner can be believed.  That gentleman
(assuming he tells the truth) was treating them just because he
didn't want to take any chances.  He knew his chances of selling at a
good price were about nil if they tested positive.

What you say makes sense where you are because the mite is definitely
there and bees fly year round, but in Eric's place, I'd sure think a
careful survey for the mite would be worthwhile, regardless of
whether he decides to treat blind -- which I'm sure he already has.

What I wonder is after tens of thousands of dollars have been spent
on these hives after  few years -- were there ever any varroa  mites
in them??

I wonder because i looked at them and considered buying them myself.
We decided against because we'd be in the same position right now.

You may recall that I recommend pre-emptive treatment for AFB (and
discount those who think that they can keep their hives clean for
long without medication)  because AFB is known to be in the
environment.  And I would recommend the same pretty well anywhere in
the USA for varroa.

The subtle difference is that in Eric's area, varroa is not known to
be present -- only suspected and feared.

... Unless Carl or Eric  didn't tell me something.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>