From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:06:41 -0400
>My thoughts:  Too Much Tinkering.

I agree.
However, IMO, a 'gentle visit' or two
will not harm.  A 'disruptive visit'
will harm.

>Disturbed and queen marked on day four.

Was the queen marked and paint allowed
to dry before reintroduction?  Were frames
disheveled in the process of finding the queen?
Was it a cool day? Were the frames placed
back in the same order?  All these these things,
IMO, would have been disruptive.

Marking queens, I do not do, because
I tend to find myself looking for a dot instead
of a queen, which is easier for me to find than
a dot.

>Disturbed and frames added on day five.

Were frames inserted between frames in
the original nest structure?  -This would have
been a big no-no and majorly disruptive.
Frames placed on the outside, would be a
gentle disturbance, and IMO, fine to perform.

>Rule one:  put em in a box and don't touch em for a week.

I prefer to check for laying queen at 3 to 4 days.
I may choose to side wall the nest for better growth.
Handling many swarms myself, I cant have equipment
tied up on a colony which is failing at colony initiation.
A swarm which appears weak, non-uniform, slow
combuilding would be marked for close scrutiny,
and maybe even shook out before a week has
passed.

These queen checks, within the first week are
performed without smoke, and very gently,
while maintaining nest integrity.  These are
short, gentle disturbances and IMO perfectly
fine to perform.  Early no smoke queen check
gives an opportunity to check for alarm
response and excess alarm pheromone,
which gives early indication of a defensive
colony, and earns a bad grade in my book.
Excess alarm pheromone may warrant early
termination.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
Pennsylvania