From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 15:51:36 -0500
I agree with Richard.  I certainly would not cut the top plate.  It would
likely not be necessary if you have access to an attic.  You could have
access to the soffit from the attic, but... depending on the pitch of the
roof, it could be a very difficult job.  This is a job that I too would want
to do from the outside.

You never really know where the hive is, only where they go in.  I have seen
that off by a considerable distance.  My first guess is that you would find
the bees in the soffit or if the attic floor is finished, in between the
floor joists.

Some jobs are worth passing up.  Have you suggested leaving the colony be?

Larry Krengel