From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:03:25 -0400
> I see that gene pool being constantly polluted

This use of "gene pollution" is shaky here. Ironically, it is often now used in regard to GMO genes, but here you are using it to refer to the non-selected "feral" genes, which is the way eugenicists used it.

For example:

> Let us not forget that not long ago the politics of eugenics played a prominent role in the history of the twentieth century. It was used to justify the devastation of indigenous populations in the southern hemisphere by colonising Europeans. In the first quarter of the twentieth century, immigration laws in the United States were based on eugenic standards.

> Whenever genes are manipulated to 'improve' an organism, a eugenic decision is made. In place of the ideology of racial purity, the new ideology of commercial eugenics refers to increased economic efficiency and better performance standards. The old eugenics was steeped in political ideology and hate.  The new eugenics is propelled more by market forces and consumerism than politics.

McCoy, R. (2000). Science and biotechnology: The dark side.

* * *

FERALITY AND SCIENTIFIC TERMINOLOGY - A CAUTION

The topics in this book are often contentious, especially those relating to evolution, gene flow, and transgenics. Both advocacy groups as well as (unfortunately) scientists stoop to the use of politically or emotionally loaded terminology to gain support for their case or cause and to marginalize the opposition.

Emotive terminology has been eschewed throughout this workshop and book with an effort to use scientifically descriptive and value neutral terms. Thus, what some will call (using fascist or racist terminology ) "genetic purity," "gene pollution," or "gene contamination" will be correctly called "pollen movement," "gene flow," "hybridization," "gene introgression ," or "enhanced biodiversity," depending on the issue and the data.

One person's "genetic purity" is another's "inbreeding depression," one's "bastard" or "miscegenation" is another's "heterosis" or "hybrid vigor." Introduced or naturalized species are not to be given the ultra-nationalistic/xenophobic "alien" or "foreign" labels.

Scientifically meaningless terms, such as genetically modified, genetically modified organism (GMO), living modified organism (LMO), that were coined to mask realities will not be used to hide transgenic, genetically engineered, etc. There was no reason to use "superweeds" when "feral" is fully descriptive.

Gressel, J. (Ed.). (2005). Crop ferality and volunteerism. CRC Press.

* * *

By the way, the use of the above quotes in no way implies my endorsement of either of these books. In fact, they present completely opposite points of view, but they serve to expose the terminology and what it "means."

PLB