Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 15:56:33 -0400
Bump.  From Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:54:04 -0500

>Has anyone tried sterilizing old combs and boxes with ozone? You can pick up an ozone purifier for hot tubs or aquariums on eBay for $100. If you pumped the ozone into an old chest freezer, you could gas 8 or 10 boxes at once.
>
>Has anyone tried this? How much ozone production do you need to be effective and how long would you need to gas boxes? Or would it be better (more practical) to ozonate the water you mix the 10% bleach solution with and mist combs and boxes?

My phone rang this morning and a friend asked me about this idea again.  He is considering setting up a sizeable room with a generator if they can get enough information as to dosage, potential hazards and pitfalls and efficacy.  I've been compiling what I can find at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/ozone.htm  So far that has been mostly a matter of compiling this thread, but I expect to add more as I gather responses and resources.

They have lined up a generator they can rent initially at http://www.absoluteozone.com/ and purchase later if desired.  They have a large room that is reasonably well sealed, so now it is just a question of whether to proceed -- and how.

Has anyone anything to add to what we have covered here already?  I'm writing several researchers in hopes of getting more specific ideas and will share what i learn.  I understand that there are some commercial beekleepers in the US who have been using ozone, but have neither their contact info or word of their results.

Is ozone the best choice or should we consider phostoxin?  I looked that chemical up and it is controlled up here.  It can be had, but is a seriously dangerous product and there are some hopps to jump through.  Of course ozone is dangerous, too, but it is not controlled and can be generated quite cheaply on demand.

Anything anybody can offer will be appreciated.