From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:40:12 -0500
Bob writes:
> then I suggest wiping out nosema ceranae completely from our bees

>Here is a case where it was attempted to raise small numbers of nosema free
>bees

>EFFECT OF FEEDS IN DEVELOPING THE HYPOPHARYNGEAL GLAND OF NOSEMA-FREE NURSE
>BEES FOR ESCORTING QUEEN HONEY BEES (Apis mellifera) DURING EXPORT
YAN PENG
BSc Murdoch University

We have taken a different approach in commercial beekeeping. Our main focus
is bees to last a single season.

Found by accident mostly we have discovered that when package bees fed
fumigillin so that spore counts are low to almost nothing when installed on
new comb or comb which has been irradiated or treated with Clorox the bees
last the season and do great.

You can guess the fate of the former occupants of the old comb with high
levels of nosema spores.

Jerry has hinted on BEE-L about those doing as above are finding success.
The method once adapted seems to work the first season ( personal
experience) but the bees seem to return to high spore counts the second
season.

If you wondered why the supply of package bees available has changed one
reason is beekeepers doing the above.

I missed the Missouri State Beekeepers meeting at which Michael Palmer
(BEE-L member)  gave presentations on making his summer and fall nucs from
what I call "dinks". My eyes and ears at the meeting took notes and Michael
I will experiment next year but my ( and others ) "dinks" are usually
"dinks' for reasons other than a queen issue as most have new queens. Your
hives are on permanent locations and not in contact with other commercial
beekeepers bees ( as mine are) so our situations are not exactly the same.
However my bee buddies were very impressed with your talks and sorry I was
unable to attend and meet you!

bob