From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2017 08:48:23 -0600
Honestly, that was not my intention. It was simply to show that there are many things in the "inert" category that nobody would consider inert in other contexts. This is not to suggest that these components are unnecessary, but simply that they are not inert, should be scrutinized. That's all folks.

  I never took it that way for you Pete,  and I am sure Dick didn't either,  but the general population is!  And actually I much appreciate the chance to have this discussion in the open with a LOT of darn smart people listening and participating.

I pondered all night how to reply to your post on John Millers picture,  how to put it to words....

First,  Let me say I like John,  had many conversations with him,  and all enjoyable.  But we sure don’t see eye to eye on some things.  His talk this year at CSBA scared me.

But  lets put it to my words.  First off you may remember a movie "More than Honey"  and the outrage at the Nuc machine and how hard it was on the bees. And lets not forget the whole position of the movie.  That was johns machine....  Since then he has recanted and said how terrible that was.  I leave it ot you to decide if that was public opinion or a real change of heart.

I see that image differently.  I see a chance for John to kick his growers in the butt.  It is HIS choice and greed driving that. Nothing more.  He can take the risk and have that conversation with a grower,  or he can go out in public and decry the injustice.  I leave it to the readers to decide which hes doing,  and which is the right way.

I will pick on Michelle Coplay for a moment,  I have had the displeasure of reading and listening to her as the head of the pollinator stewardship group.  Frankly  shes a lady from downtown Ohio (Akron I think)  with a couple of hives in the back yard,  trying real hard to set policy shes clueless about for the rest of the nation!... we have  too many of them!    (I get to pick on her because she public)  the article in this months ABJ is downright scary!

We have a huge problem with people who are not in the region,  and quite frankly not involved at all trying to effect policy and "save the world"  without a dang clue as to whats really going on.  Take Neonics for example.  Without even naming names to top 3 in beekeeping complainers are not normally even exposed to them!  Meanwhile  for many of us out here they have been a godsend. If we each stayed in our region and stuck to what we know and have experience with,  we could make progress.

The people in Canada are seemingly about to find out,  any bets on what will happen if they ban Neonics in rapeseed in Canada?  A bunch of beeks working that region will have a different answer than the groups pushing the ban. ( I am staying out of it as its not my area)

Actully a great discussion,  been pondering an article on it,  and this is helping me formulate......

Charles