From:
Larry Farris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 10:50:32 -0500
>I am a beekeeper of Central Texas, I currently have 10 hives by the end of
>Monday I would like to have only 9. I've been keeping bees for 5 years now,
>So what do yall( told you I was from Texas) think I should do
>about this colony???

Mark,  You and I have about the same years of experience with bees.  I'm
just north of Dallas (Allen, TX).  I'm the treasurer for Collin County
Beekeepers club; do you belong to any of the Texas clubs? (I used to live in
Austin).

I would tell you to look at Steve Pearce's note about killing bees (the use
of Vodka).  It seems reasonable to me (but I have never tried this).
However, let me tell you our ways up here; the use of "soapy water" (i.e.,
dishwashing liquid soap, like 'Dawn') This technique smothers them. It
involves spraying them and they can't breath so after a little while, they
die. You could spray inside the hive w/o causing damage to the hive parts
but better than this would probably be to "chase" them outside the hive with
"Bee-go" and then spray them.  We use a plastic (quart or so)spray bottle
with one of those spray trigger heads. Also when you spray them, since
they're wet, they can't fly (but spray fast!)  Good Luck to ya - drop me a
note sometime.  I once had a VERY hot hive from wild bees!  But you are in
the "killer bee" area, are you not?  My best to ya -Larry Farris