Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Gloria DeHaven BSN,IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:12:24 EST
I have been catching up on reading my lactnet journals and wanted to respond
to the issue of formula companies and their marketing efforts with hospitals.
  Fortunately I work for a unit where we have a predominance of
breastfeeding. The WHO code and the "Baby Friendly" issue was sort of
approached in our area (before our hospital had OB) by others in the
community. It went over like a lead balloon- so for me to suggest changes- I
avoid using those particular words that seem to trigger a knee-jerk attitude
in some of the pediatricians who were so to speak "turned off to the idea"
about 5-10 years ago- I have to work subtly and so to speak "seed the field"
instead of as some peds have said you don't "cram it down our throats". Some
pediatricians in our area have come around greatly in the last few years with
the seeding.
  We are all just little fish in the big sea- but as consultants I think it
is like the commercial of all the little fish that gang together and end up
looking like an approaching shark! We can all make a difference if we keep
hanging in together. If I suggest not having the formula rep. bring in food-
I look like the bad guy. If I "seed the field" with the staff about how we
can be influenced by the rep- maybe I can not be seen as the breastfeeding
Nazi! I may not make lots of money or have the expense account that a
formula/pharmeceutical rep does- BUT what I do have is the liberty to come
and to go- To "go fer" to pick up lunches when the staff are busy. To help to
"pinch hit" when it is crazy (I am an RN) and I do make a point to buy bagels
and buy a one pot pack of gourmet coffee for "my gals" who work the unit. I
write on my bag of bagels- One big B that above incorporates BREAST and below
incorporates the word BAGELS. They then know that I feed them too- they know
that I do not have a budget for this and that it is more out of caring for
them than anything else. I would be interested in how others of you share and
care for your staff. Just "food for thought".
Gloria DeHaven BSN, ICCE, IBCLC