HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:03:21 -0400
Folks,

I don't see anything in Mike's original post that suggests that this is, in
fact, a Section 106 issue. With regard to Mr. Austin's post, if there is a
Section 106 issue, public participation is already involved (see the new 36
CFR 800 regs regarding "findings of historic impact"). So, public monies
notwithstanding, it seems to me that we're splitting hairs about when does a
landfill become significant, or how soon does a landfill become a midden.
Some may recall the landfill that was excavated several years ago in the
permafrost in an abandoned military base in Alaska that revealed a nearly
complete record of well preserved newsreel films for the entire period of
its occupation. This was a genuine historical treasure. How many of us have
had similar experiences on Phase II testing projects in which we assumed
that nothing of great significance would appear, only to have our modest
assumptions contradicted?

John Dendy
Archeologist
Dynamac Corporation