HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:11:00 -0400
Robert L Schuyler wrote:

> WILL THE REAL PREHISTORIANS PLEASE STAND UP...

...I think most people like archaeology because it is fascinating and
adds
> something to their lives. Within that context a historical archaeological
> investigation of the Great Depression era would be quite interesting to
> the general public as well as to scholars in several fields.
>
> Historical Archaeology will expand in the near future to include not only
> the archaeology of the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centures but also
> the 20th Century. As an unidentified Frenchman during World War I yelled out
> from the crowd when General Pershing said 'Lafayette We Have Come' ----
> "It's About Time!"

Amen, Bob, Amen. What really worries me is to see folks, whose training
and interests suggest that their principal interest should be exploring
and interpreting the archaeological record, worrying and fretting over
some other archaeologists spending  "public money" on projects they
don't find interesting. It particularly worries me when these same folks
are employed by publicly funded agencies and apply their
anti-archaeological sentiments in the service of their employers who,
after all, don't want to be "wasting" their money on archaeology.

--
Dan Mouer
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm